Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sweet Potato Coconut Soup. Is it fall yet?

Pardon the fact that our blog is rather naked right now, we are just getting started. We'll eventually prattle on about life, love, food, kids and music. We'll include as many torrid details as we can ! This is our solemn swear.
_______________________

I live in Florida, Alisa lives in the Colorado mountains. If memory serves, fall hits her sooner than it does us here in the hot south. In the dead of winter, I'm always grateful to live here, but it is my northern friends that I envy in the fall. Being from Detroit, I remember the crisp fall leaves, the smell of autumn bonfires  and warm sweaters. Below is a photo of Michigan foliage. Yeah ...give me a pumpkin spice latte and we are good to go.


I have friends spread out all over the USA. A byproduct of living in multiple states through the years. But it's this time of year I'd like to take a flight up north. Despite our 90 degree heat and the fact that yes, we are still wearing bathing suits...I decided to make a sweet potato coconut soup this weekend. Sure, I'll look like a fool eating soup in the searing heat, but humor me. I am pretending fall is here. I will also set a place for Alisa, in hopes that she'll show up on my doorstep with a bottle of wine and a baguette of fresh bread. But without the fresh bread, I'll refuse to let her in...

Sweet Potato Coconut Soup


1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
1 small red onion, chopped
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
pinch of red pepper flakes
3 cups homemade chicken stock
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled,
 and cut into a large dice
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbsp clover honey
large pinch of ground cinnamon

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion
and ginger, cook until soft, 5 min.
Add red pepper flakes, cook for 30 sec
Add stock and water, bring to a boil
Add sweet potatoes, cook to a simmer, cook until
potatoes are soft, 20 to 30 min. Cool
Transfer mixture into a blender and blend until smooth
Return to saucepan and cook on low, whisk in
coconut milk, honey and cinnamon. 
Cook until thickened.
Season with salt & pepper.
Ladle into bowls  and serve with warm, fresh bread.

~post by: Kim

9 comments:

  1. I will have to make that. My hubby will love it!
    xoxo - JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it would yummy if only I liked coconut! The pic is beautiful!! Nice blog looking forward to more post :-)

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks much Brittany & Jillie Bean :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the start of a beautiful blog!

    Great pictures that sure looks yummy =)

    Trough The Photographs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog...and I wouldn't let her in without the bread either ;) Fortunately I know how to make kick ass homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judi Galzerano wrote: The pursuit of fall never leaves one who has lived up North. The smell of crisp falling leaves, the sweaters and jackets, and the hot warm food on a chilly night bring back so many childhood memories. Growing up in Minnesota and Michigan was the very best of all 4 seasons. Now living in Texas, I share Kim's perpective, and September is upon us... so I toast you Kim and AJ to Fall 2010. Enjoy this delicious looking soup, and turn your air down to like 60. :) Congrats you guys !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm...sweet potato and coconut, 2 of my favorites! The soup looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe and looking forward to more of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm making some homemade Chili today for the first time... wish me luck! It's perfect for this fall day!

    ReplyDelete