Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cinnamon Dulce Loveliness

blog by: Alisa

Remember the old Coke commercial about teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony? A pretty, Utopian, pipe dream...... *shakes off reverie*

I'm not that ambitious. Not by a long shot. And besides, I'd rather sing to myself (sparing the innocent) and drink coffee.

While running errands yesterday, I realized I was at that precarious point where my blood sugar was about to spiral to my shoes. I stood in the checkout line, considering my options. Pizza? Nah, the place would be swamped at that time of day. They have my favorite Brown Cow cherry vanilla yogurt at the Vitamin Cottage next door, but still, too much time spent with a spoon. That left me with the Starbucks that was not 30 feet away from where I stood. Couldn't think of a single reason why not. Except for the cost. Don't get me wrong, when I'm on the verge of kissing my ability to think clearly 'Good-bye,' that cardboard-ringed paper cup is worth every penny. But not today.

Today, while shopping for sundry items, I spied a bag of Starbucks Espresso for less than six bucks, including the tax. *looks upward and counts on fingers* Never mind the math. I'd probably muck it up anyhow. Suffice it to say that I was feeling absolutely sure that I could figure out how to turn that bag into multiple cups of the cinnamon-y goodness known as a cinnamon dulce latte. If I can procure all the necessary ingredients, who can stop me? 

Nobody, that's who. Not even the lack of a steaming method for the milk.

First, I prepared a couple cups worth of espresso. More than I needed, but it was brewed with a coffee siphon, and that would be the bare minimum I would brew that way. Otherwise, it percolates much too fast & the resultant espresso would be nothing more than dark water. Eww. To the espresso grounds, I added a 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Smells like heaven when it brews.

While that was under way, I filled my 12 ounce mug halfway with milk. Poured that into a sauce pan, added another 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, a splash of caramel sauce, and brought it up to almost a simmer. Another heavenly scent.
Fill your mug halfway with the hot espresso, and then add the hot milk. If you want the complete 'pretty drink' experience, top with real whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.

It's a lovely drink for Fall, and you didn't have to endure a single note of my infernal caterwauling.

~AJ

2 comments:

  1. Kim responded: 2 questions to my little barista-

    1. do you think i could make this recipe using an espresso machine with an attached milk steamer? *praying i don't have to wait till christmas for an espresso maker*

    2. can i have a large? make it for me everyday before work? thanks *drops dollar in tip jar* coffee is my VICE. love, love it. amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Perfect for fall and winter AND because I just bought caramel sauce from Starbucks! I got sick of ordering iced caramel macchiatos and not getting enough drizzles of caramel sauce (the best part of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete